“Anything is possible in Iceland” – Letter w/hand-drawn map instead of address arrives at its destination
Although Iceland is having a moment as a top travel destination, it hasn’t lost its small village charm. A letter with a hand-drawn map in place of a written-out address was mailed to a farm in Hvammssveit, West Iceland. Not only did it get processed through the mail system, it was successfully delivered to the correct address!
This incredible feat of postal service, which recently surfaced on Reddit, consisted of an envelope labeled with the country, city name, and the line “A horse farm with an Icelandic/Danish couple and 3 kids and a lot of sheep.” In case there were several farms which fit this description, the envelope sender included an extra piece of recipient identification: “The Danish woman works in a supermarket in Búðardalur.” What looks like an accompanying illustration is a street map of the intended delivery address, complete with a diagram of the nearby lake, names of crossroads, and a big red dot, marking the farm as “here.”
According to a local Icelandic news service, the letter was mailed by a group of tourists in Reykjavík who had visited the farm, owned by the Holar family, earlier in the year. Condé Nast Traveler reveals that the farm attracts a small amount of travelers, as it boasts a “mini zoo” where visitors are encouraged to pet the family’s horses, goats, sheep, pigs, and other animals. Unsure of the farm’s address, the tourists made use of their drawing skills and left the best clues they could for the postman to solve. And they did—thus proving that perhaps “anything is possible in Iceland.”
Here’s a closer look at the map on the envelope:
One might want to add that there are several great golf courses in the vicinity. Ísafjörður is the capitol of the west in Iceland and the 9 hole golf course there is called Tungudalsvöllur. It is best to play that golf course in the summer, since there is usually heavy snow covering the course up until late spring. There is a great 18 hole golf course in Borgarnes, called Hamarsvöllur, which you should make a point of playing when visiting Iceland. The Club House there is built like a traditional 4 gabled Icelandic farmhouse and also you get a view at the biggest Coke Cola bottle in Europe, which is located on the golf course.
Source: Reddit and My Media Met
- June. 13. 2018 | 02:00 The Arctic Open on June 20th-June 23rd 2018
- March. 16. 2018 | 21:00 Victory for Ragnhildur at Pinehurst!!!
- March. 8. 2018 | 21:00 Guðrún Brá in the footsteps of Eddie Pepperell
- February. 26. 2018 | 07:00 LET: Valdís Þóra in 3rd Place at the Ladies Classic Bonville in Australia!!!
- February. 18. 2018 | 18:00 Icelandic names and naming practice
- February. 7. 2018 | 08:00 The Challenge Tours profile of Axel Bóasson
- February. 7. 2018 | 07:00 “Anything is possible in Iceland” – Letter w/hand-drawn map instead of address arrives at its destination
- February. 7. 2018 | 04:00 Valdís Þóra took part in the Oates Vic Open
- February. 7. 2018 | 03:00 About the PGA of Iceland
- February. 6. 2018 | 18:00 Ólafía Þórunn finished T-26 in the Pure Silk Bahamas LPGA Classic
- February. 5. 2018 | 10:00 Axel and Ólafía Þórunn elected Golfers of the Year 2017 by the Icelandic Golf Union
- February. 5. 2018 | 05:00 An ace in Iceland – History of the Einherja Club
- February. 4. 2018 | 06:00 „We both got guns Jon Rahm”
- January. 25. 2018 | 15:00 Ólafía Þórunn Sportsperson of the Year 2017 in Iceland
- January. 5. 2018 | 10:00 Introducing: The President of the Icelandic Golf Union – Haukur Örn Birgisson