Introducing Icelanders who play on US College Golf teams no. 8: Axel Bóasson
Axel Bóasson is one of those Icelanders who play golf collegically in the US, on the Mississippi State´s Bulldog´s golfteam. Axel is without doubt one of Iceland´s best golfers. He is a.o. the Icelandic Champion in Stroke Play, 2011. Here goes the interview with Axel:
What is your name? Axel Bóasson.
Which Golf Club are you a member of in Iceland? The Golf Club Keilir in Hafnarfjörður.
Where and when were you born? In Reykjavik, June 3rd 1990.
Where were you raised? In Garðabær, Iceland.
What is your family status and does anyone in your family play golf? Everyone plays golf in my family except my girlfriend, my mother, father, sister and my brother.
When did you start playing golf? When I was 8 years old.
Why did you start playing golf? Everyone in my family played golf and I wanted to give it a try.
What are you studying in the States? Finance.
Describe a typical schoolday of yours at Mississippi State? 7-8 gym, 9-12 school, 2-5 golf, the rest of the day is spent studying or something else.
What did you like the best about being in the US, when you first got there? Golf and to play for the team.
On the other hand; what did you dislike about the US? The food.
What advice would you give young golfers who are thinking about studying in the States and want to play on a US College golfteam? To prepare themselves well in advance.
What is the difference between the golfcourses in Iceland and the US? The gras and the length.
What do you prefer parkland og links type course? Linkses.
What is your favorite golfcourse in Iceland? The Hvaleyrar-golfcourse, i.e. the golfcourse at Golf Club Keilir (GK) in Hafnarfjörður.
What is your favorite golfcourse anywhere in the world? Old Waverly in Mississippi.
What is the most special golfcourse you have played on and why? Fulton Country Club in Mississippi
What is your handicap? +2.6
What is your lowest score and on which golfcourse did you achieve it? 65 on Leiran on the course of the Golf Club of Suðurnes (GS), in Keflavík, Iceland.
What is your longest drive? 370 meters (404 yards).
What is you greatest achievement in golf to date? The 8th place in the International European Amateur Championship, which took place, August 8th-11th 2012 on the Montgomerie golfcourse of Carton House in Ireland. (Axel had a total score of 5 under par, 283 strokes (71 74 68 70) ).
Have you ever scored a hole in one? Yes, twice.
What snack do you have in the bag? Two homemade sandwiches and two kókómjólk (Icelandic chocolate bevarage) – does the trick every time!
Have you participated in any other sports? Yes, soccer and handball.
What is your favorite food, favorite music, favorite movie and favorite book? My favorite food is something of the grill, made by my father; I don´t listen much to music; my favorite movie now at this time is Avenger; my favorite book: I don´t read much in my sparetime.
Who are your favorite golfer name 1 male and 1 female? Female.: Tinna Jóhannsdóttir (cousin, who plays on the LET Access series). Male: Tiger Woods.
What would be your dream foursome? Me and…… Tiger Woods, Rory McIlory and John Daly.What´s in the bag?
What´s in the bag? 9°Taylormade R9, 15,5° Taylormade r11s, Titleist MB 3-PW irons, Titleist Vokey 52°, 56° og 60° wedges.
Have you been to a golfinstructor? Yes, Björgvin Sigurbergsson (uncle).
Are you superstitious? Yes a little. I always have the same scrub in my pocket, a golf fork, an Icelandic coin and 3 tee.
What is your maingoal in golf and in life? To become better and become a professional, and just enjoy life.
What do you like the best about golf? I have seen a great deal of the world by playing golf and one has learned much by taking part in this sport.
How large a percentage do you estimate that the mental side of your game is when you compete? 90%
Do you have some good advice that you can give golfers? “Practice makes perfect.”
At last: What are your plans for the future? When I graduate from University I want to try becoming a professional.
- June. 13. 2018 | 02:00 The Arctic Open on June 20th-June 23rd 2018
- March. 16. 2018 | 21:00 Victory for Ragnhildur at Pinehurst!!!
- March. 8. 2018 | 21:00 Guðrún Brá in the footsteps of Eddie Pepperell
- February. 26. 2018 | 07:00 LET: Valdís Þóra in 3rd Place at the Ladies Classic Bonville in Australia!!!
- February. 18. 2018 | 18:00 Icelandic names and naming practice
- February. 7. 2018 | 08:00 The Challenge Tours profile of Axel Bóasson
- February. 7. 2018 | 07:00 “Anything is possible in Iceland” – Letter w/hand-drawn map instead of address arrives at its destination
- February. 7. 2018 | 04:00 Valdís Þóra took part in the Oates Vic Open
- February. 7. 2018 | 03:00 About the PGA of Iceland
- February. 6. 2018 | 18:00 Ólafía Þórunn finished T-26 in the Pure Silk Bahamas LPGA Classic
- February. 5. 2018 | 10:00 Axel and Ólafía Þórunn elected Golfers of the Year 2017 by the Icelandic Golf Union
- February. 5. 2018 | 05:00 An ace in Iceland – History of the Einherja Club
- February. 4. 2018 | 06:00 „We both got guns Jon Rahm”
- January. 25. 2018 | 15:00 Ólafía Þórunn Sportsperson of the Year 2017 in Iceland
- January. 5. 2018 | 10:00 Introducing: The President of the Icelandic Golf Union – Haukur Örn Birgisson